John Hobson Nicholson
John Hobson Nicholson (1911 – 1988) was the son of Frank Nicholson, a house painter and decorator, and the grandson of the Manx artist, John Miller Nicholson. He was educated at Douglas High School, from there entering the family painting and decorating firm as an interior decorator. Although self-taught John Hobson Nicholson went onto establish himself over the next fifty years as one of the most successful Manx painters. He exhibited regularly both on and off the Island, was elected to membership of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours and the Pastel Society, taught at the Douglas School of Art and worked prolifically as a commercial artist. Nicholson was also a leading member of the Isle of Man Art Society and its President until his death in 1988. His studio on Well Road Hill and his gallery in Strand Street, Douglas, were well-known landmarks for the Manx artistic community. He produced a wide variety of work, from landscapes and coastal scenes to maritime subjects in oils, watercolours and pastels. Although he is best-known for his watercolours of the Island, Nicholson also painted in Scotland, Norway, Venice and Hamburg. His work was universally familiar to people on and off the Island owing to the fact he designed Manx stamps, coins and banknotes for the Isle of Man Government from 1958.
His work is much sought after and collected on the Isle of Man and further afield, with Osbourne Antiques recently selling a lovely watercolour painting to NEW ZEALAND!
Osbourne Antiques currently have twelve examples of John Hobson Nicholson’s work in stock and we invite you to visit us at 8 Auckland Terrace, Parliament Street, Ramsey, Isle of Man or view online at www.sellingantiques.co.uk/osbourne